She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy. (Pro 31:20)Today’s crime rate has closed a door of opportunity for Christian women to extend a helping hand. It is no longer safe for women to venture out to help the homeless as it was years ago. However, our hand can extend to the poor and those in need in so many other ways. This Proverbs 31 wife helped both. She displayed her gift of mercy by reaching out. Notice that the verse says that she “stretcheth out her hand” and she “reacheth forth her hands.” This wife was actively using her gifts. What has God blessed you with? Are you using your gifts for others?
Good examples of a way a woman can use those talents God has given to her are:
- Making meals for church members, neighbors, and friends in need.
- Going through clothing you no longer use, wash them and bag them for someone in need in your church, or Goodwill.
- Call someone in your church you know could use a “pick-me-up.”
- Knit/Crochet scarves for the children from that poor family in your church.
- Visit the senior saints from your church – many do not have family who live locally.
- Are you a gardener – do you grow vegetables? Give someone of the fruit of your labor.
- Open your home to teens and youth so they have another place to go to stay out of trouble.
- Can you sew? Sew a dress for that little girl in Junior Church who comes faithfully and wears the same dress.
- Do you love music? Make music CD’s of uplifting songs and give it to someone who needs encouragement.
- Do you create your own cards? Send cards to shut-ins or that lady you see sitting alone at church every week.
We don’t have to go out into the highways and by-ways to use the gifts God has given us. All we have to do is start looking at the needs in our own church, our own neighborhood, and our own friends and family.
Help me to see the ones in need
Please show me what to do
So You can work through me for them
To bring honor and glory to You